Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Heaven Forbid I End Up Alone

Can you sum up your entire life story in six words? There's a new book that hit the shelves today called, Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-word Memoirs. It is a compilation of responses people gave to the above question. I am hooked! Responses are so poignant - I had no idea how much you could piece together about a person in so little space. First, watch this:


You were counting the words, weren't you? There are always six. I checked.

Here are some of my favorite, unpublished six-word "memoirs":

  • Cared too much, did too little.
  • Five minus one, still a family.
  • Not what you think - look closer.
  • Aloof? No, just a bit deaf.
  • I, I, I, I, I, you.
  • I look much taller in words.
  • Traveled the world, found no home.
  • Unpredictable despair, frequently interrupted by joy.
  • Had little baggage, found traveling companion.
  • I want your life, damn it!
  • Whipsawed by calamity, yet stubbornly optimistic.
  • Not as blonde as I look.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the title to this post was what I came up with for me. But I'm warning you now, you won't be able to stop thinking of new ones. I have a whole list of them now, but I want to hear what YOU (and husbands, and wives, and children) come up with. Please comment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Erin thats funny I was just thinking about you yesterday and then got your blog today. We just made our first album.
www.thelaughablyhonest.com

love marcella

erin said...

Hey Marcella,
Long time, eh? Was "We just made our first album" your six-word memoir? Just wondering...

Scott Barney said...

Have everything I want.. Well, almost

Anonymous said...

I've come up with a few, but none seem the exact one (reference to the last one)

Always right, even when I'm not
Where have all the cowboys gone?
I will think about it tomorrow.
everywhere and nowhere all at once
We all scream for ice cream
the sun WILL come out tomorrow!
Don't wish, I am a weiner
indecisive to the point of decision

Marielle said...

Very cool. I haven't thought of my memoir (Maybe: I don't know left from right) but I have a question for you. Could you please enlighten your faithful readers about why Dolly parton is your hero? I am not at all implying she doesn't deserve that distinction and I would love to hear what you have to say about her.

Also, did you take those pictures on the right of your blog?

erin said...

Marz,
I will explain Dolly later. As for the pics, I didn't take the surfing picture and I only wish I could claim the Dolly portraits as my own - that gets a little tricky considering one was taken four years before I was born. The pic I am most proud of is the fire silhouette because I captured that with my camera phone. Thank you, thank you! Hold your applause till the end. (Hey, that's a good Six-worder).

K said...

Here are a couple:

Robert, Joshua, Lindsay, Lauren, Jack, Juno

No pain, no gain, I've gained