Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Weirdness

Maats "tagged" me and the name of the game is list six quirky things about yourself. As I am a fan of all things self-promoting (or self-degrading) I happily take part in this exercise.

  1. When I was 6, my favorite movie was The Thorn Birds (technically, it’s a miniseries). It's about a Catholic priest who falls in love with a little girl, waits for her to grow up, then renounces his commitment to God in order to “be with her”. I watched this repeatedly. This no doubt raises a couple of questions: A.) Where was Mr. Rogers when all this was going on, and 2.) What sort of parents set up the VCR for their kindergartner to watch this? While this is not a "quirk" per se, I have no doubt it made some sort of lasting impression on me.
  1. I've adopted a bad habit of getting up and leaving on a moment’s notice. My family has commented on my untimely and tactless exits from various get-togethers. I’ve offended several of them. Perhaps this is why my mother found it necessary to give me a tutorial on how to warn my host/hostess of this departure several minutes before it happens. If you're reading this, consider this your "warning".
  1. I have what some refer to as an unnatural fascination with Dolly Parton. I will not take the opportunity to defend myself at this time. There will be plenty of time for this in the next couple of weeks as I promote her newest album, Backwoods Barbie, due in stores February 26. *wink, wink*
  1. I don't wear deodorant. Wait! Before you navigate away from my page, let me explain. I really don't have a malodorous problem - I promise. My mom would have said something about it by now. She's not shy about these things ("Your hair looks like a rat's nest." etc.), so I'm sure she wouldn't mind saying I smell like one, if I did. What about an antiperspirant, you ask? When I work up a sweat playing sports or whatever, usually it's my face that gets hot. I'm not going to lather my face in deodorant, so don't go there.
  1. I’m unable to sleep if my feet are cold or if I’m wearing socks. It’s a vicious cycle.
  1. I deal with my suicidal tendencies by placing an order online through Zappos.com. Waiting for my merchandise to arrive in the mail gives me something to live for - just long enough for the suicidal thoughts to pass. Subsequently, I have a lot of shoes.

  2. I’m kidding, folks! It's called retail therapy.
    TAG!: Katie, Marielle and Shannon.

13 comments:

Marti said...

SO funny! I almost put that thing about my feet-because I'm the same-I can't sleep with cold feet, but can't sleep with socks on either. Must be genetic.

Sabrina said...

I honestly don't know much about Dolly Parton besides that she sings country, owns an amusement park, has a love of plastic surgery and was in the movie Straight Talk (which, by the way, I love). So, what is it about her? About the deodorant, I could never pull that off, but Brett is the same way you are. He forgets to wear deodorant fairly often and you really can't tell. If I didn't, we'd all be in a world of hurt.

Ritch in Love said...

One foot out of the covers, and one foot in!

Saw Dolly on Hanna Montana last night. (I know. why was I watching that show? Not sure, but she was on and I watched the whole thing!)

The Thornbirds...never saw that one comin'!

I don't wear deodorant unless I'm on the plane working. Your mom and my mom are one in the same. I don't stink. My mom would tell me so. If I walked in the door after eating italian for a meal she could be upstairs in her room with the door shut and know that my breath smelled like garlic. And now...I have the same nose.

Natalie said...

Erin, Thanks for your comment on my blog! I've been lurking on your's for a little while now. I love reading your stuff. You're a breath of fresh air. And I'm a huge believer in retail therapy.

K said...

Hmmm....let's see, this is all starting to make sense -
Erin, you're backwards. You watched Thorn Birds as a small child, and loved it, a very mature miniseries more suited to a 26 year-old's taste. You NEVER played with or even LIKED dolls as a little girl (although if you had they would have all been named Meggie)...and then this unnatural fascination with "Dolly"...I'm so so happy that you've finally found a dolly you like! It took you a little longer than most girls, but when you finally chose a dolly to love, and you chose great! She's real pretty and sings too! She dances, acts, is a buisness woman and artist, and she has a fabulous wardrobe. She even has a change of wigs and lots and lots of make-up...the perfect doll! I never had a barbie that could do all that!

K said...

Oh, one more thing, notice the title of her new album: BACKWARDS BARBIE!!!!

erin said...

Katie,
First of all, it's not backWARDS, it's backWOODS. Secondly, thank you for this analysis. As strange as it is, I think you've tapped into something here and it makes total sense!
Hey, weren't you the one who introduced me to Thorn Birds? We were always "tight" like that. Speaking of backwards things, the 8.5 year difference between us was shorter when I was 6 and you were 14 than it is now that I'm 26 and you're...well, you know. :)
Love you.

Nancy K said...

So I have laughed over and over again at the story you told about beautiful Dolly at my house. When you going to come back and hang out?
Nancy

AD said...

Erin, I really appreciate your quirks - probably because I share a couple with you! Katie's comment is really insightful, very clever. Anyway, you guys make me laugh.

newsinaminute said...

Erin I found your blog through nancy and just had to say hi-cause I think "you shine" remember that phrase you taught us. well you do.
also I teach school (title one reading aid) and read toot and puddles to all my students since you introduced it to me through Nancy--anyhow you can see our blog we are a link on nancy's and get connected with the fam! or go to
bryanlynda.blogspot.com--a friend always Lynda Call

Marielle said...

You're funny, Erin. I have the same thing about getting up and leaving a room. Drives Scott crazy. I have to yell in that I'm still listening to him.

Marielle

RT Inc. said...

Weirdness, if your weird, I'm insane!

Hey I added you to our blog.

Anonymous said...

This is fascinating. I'm always a little secretive about the fact that I don't wear deodorant either. I attribute it to my Asian sweat glands. And I figure if I'm sweating enough to smell I need a shower, not a glaze of chemicals over my armpits. I've met enough stinky deodorant-wearing people to question the product's effectiveness altoghether.

I also can't sleep with cold feet or socks, and also buy stuff to give meaning to my life, although it's usually music, dvds or comic books on eBay. Or Amazon. Or shirts on Threadless.